Pages


Thursday, February 9, 2012

Why I WISH I Could Drink Every Day...

I've been saying for years that I would write a book called, "Why Mommy Drinks"...and hopefully I still will...but since I haven't sat down and written it yet, I thought I would do the next best thing and write a blog about the craziness that is our life!


The kids were 4, 2 and 6 months old when I left my career. I worked for a home builder and was the "Vice-President of Marketing and Sales." Big title...big job! I was there for 10 years and loved it...and hated it...and loved it...and hated it... sound familiar?  Loved my boss Gary, he was the Will to my Grace! We understood each other and drove each other crazy! We built beautiful houses and helped people realize the dream of home ownership...back when real estate was still fun! It was exciting, creative, dynamic, stressful, exhausting and every day was different.
But with three kids under the age of 4, something had to give. And so my husband and I decided to put our marriage and family first and I left my job. But being the control freak that I was...we had to move 350 miles away, so I wouldn't get sucked back in...I knew the minute I saw a billboard on the side of the freeway that I didn't like, I would be right back there to show them how it's done.


I always said that working there prepared me for children...since many of the people there acted like kids...and not the good part of kids...temper tantrums, crying, yelling...(and that was just me!)
But I was SO wrong...NOTHING prepared me for staying home with three little kids! By the time we moved and settled in, the kids were five, two and a half and one. I had no idea what I was in for. I looked at the world of motherhood through rose-colored glasses...and the reality shook me to my core! 


No one told me that while I was nursing the baby, I should expect the toddler to climb all over me like I was a jungle gym, at the same time, trying to rip the baby from my arms. We went from one child (totally manageable) to two children (one parent per kid) to three kids (zone parenting)...and now the worst has happened...they realize they outnumber us and sometimes I see them plotting in the corner, looking over their shoulders at me and then getting back into the huddle.  


So join my journey as I look back on the early memories of child-rearing that drove me to drink and report the crazy things they do now that make me want to build a "Mom-Cave" in the closet under the stairs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment